Sunday, February 12, 2012

How can I get the internet on the Dell laptop my sister sent me?

My sister sent me her Dell laptop. She didn't send the manual. She said it worked fine for her. I need it for school. Help.How can I get the internet on the Dell laptop my sister sent me?Well first off, you need to have a LAN connection or a wireless router already in your house. Secondly, if you are connecting wirelessly, unless you have a built-in wi-fi card, you will need to purchase a USB 2.0 wireless card. Easy to find at Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc..How can I get the internet on the Dell laptop my sister sent me?You have to buy internet service or use someone elses. There is an internet/network setup utility in Windows, but your service provider would probably prefer you use their specific instructions or disc.



Edit: Plug in the ethernet cable from your laptop to the cable company router/dsl box. Then

Click on the start button

Go to Control Panel.

Once opened, double left-click on "Network Connections"

You should see an icon labeled as "Local Area Connection". Right-click on that icon, left-click on "Properties" (There may be more than one network connection, depending on how many network cards you have in your PC. "Local Area Connection" indicates a wired Ethernet port, whereas "Wireless Network Connection" is for various types of wireless network connections including WiFi.)

A window pops up, in the middle you will find a list of items, one of which is "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Left-click on it and then left-click on the Properties button.

A new window will pop up, select "Obtain IP address automatically"

Also select "Obtain DNS server address automatically"

Click OK to close this window.



You should see the lights on the cable company box flashing and you will have an internet connection then.



If you want two computers on the net at the same time, you may have to you a switch or router and set up a home network.

Most ISP's will only give you one IP. The cable company box will not share ip's with two computers directly.How can I get the internet on the Dell laptop my sister sent me?Does the notebook have wireless? Most nowadays have it built in.



Do you have any computers in your home that get on the internet.



Some computers have a physical switch that turns it on and off. If the wireless adapter is enabled you should see some type of icon on taskbar (lower right) that shows something about networks (available, no networks available, or something like that). Click on it and select a wireless name.



Depending how your computer and wireless adapter are configured there are several ways that it would show up on your screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment