Saturday, February 18, 2012

Can I use a Dell Win 7 upgrade for a computer that is not a Dell?

I got a Windows 7 upgrade from Dell for buying an eligible Vista laptop. I got the disk and on it is says "For Use Only as an Upgrade to a Qualifying Dell Windows 7 Upgrade Option PC" and the product key sticker has the usual Dell logo on it.

Will this actually work in any computer, or is there some filter at Microsoft that checks to ensure it is being activated on a Dell???? Thanks.Can I use a Dell Win 7 upgrade for a computer that is not a Dell?You can sure try but backup your computer before you do so just in case something happens.Can I use a Dell Win 7 upgrade for a computer that is not a Dell?I don't know about the business of a hardware filter at MS which would only allow Dell machines to use the Win7 upgrade, but generally I do suspect that the Dell versions of the software and the Dell product keys are associated -- they wouldn't be interchangeable with standard Win7 discs or Win7 keys.



So it'll boil down to whether a hardware filter exists at Microsoft's end for product activation, as you say, or whether the Win7 installation disc will refuse to run on a non-Dell machine.



In principle, you're violating the license agreement by using the Dell disc and key on a non-Dell machine, so if it's *alternatives* you want, I'm not going to give you any specifics. However, if you're going to break *one* law, I can't see any motivation you'd have to not break a *second* one.



Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment